Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring Break Adventures

This is going to be a long entry because I will cover the last week, and a lot has happened then...so brace yourselves.

Okay I will start with Saturday. Instead of going to some crazy country, and exploring crazy lands, I decided to further my education and take a spring break course known as "Italian Folktales." This class is only a week long, so that I could use other weeks to do some crazy exploring. Saturday was the day we had our orientation and I planned to take a nice shower, and clean the house, and do some grocery shopping before I had to go. God had other plans. As I was about to take a shower, the pressure happened to be a trickle. (this happens a lot, the shower decides when we shower not the other way around.) As I went to the kitchen to check the pressure, the machine that controls everything was spewing water and flooding the kitchen. This has never happened before, so you know I was flipping shit, and my roommates just left for Spain. So I turned off the water, and ended up reading for the rest of the day. We got it fixed later thankfully and hopefully this won't happen again.
So orientation was dandy, and the dinner was dandy as well. After dinner, I walked to the train station to pick up my friend Clay who was visiting from the states for a week. He is the only friend who thought "This will be my only chance to go to Italy, and not pay for food and room and board." We got to my apartment, and he had a whole suitcase full of goodies for me from my loving and awesome parents. There were boxes of girl scout cookies, skittles, nerds, laffy taffys, sweet tarts, two jars of peanut butter, taco seasoning, hot sauce, my hat, my true blood books, some of my treasured movies, and a thing of mascara. Needless to say I was overjoyed and very very happy.
Sunday was class day. I stopped by our professor's apartment (aka classroom) ready to learn. A Palm and Sue Sha are awesome! They gave us delicious coffee and pastries and time to converse before class!!!! I feel if that happened every class, I would never leave school. After class, Clay and I hopped on a train to Florence and decided to walk around. Since it was Sunday not much was open so we didn't do too much. But we did find a delicious place that sold ravioli with broccoli sauce.

Monday was Siena day! I love Siena! We did our thing for class, and then we all went to find lunch. We stumbled on this quaint place and had some good quiche and some good wine and unlimited bread. We then found this awesome gelato place, with the best gelato I have ever had. Then on the bus back home, Kayla and I (the two people who don't think Italians are the hottest people ever) were seriously having some eye candy to the front of us. Too bad he left early. : (

Tuesday: Clay and I decided to hit up Pisa. On the train to Pisa we at first sat next to a bunch of school children who were gawking at us while Clay and I spoke English. We decided to move because the noise was a bit too much. We moved to a car where a little girl was being the biggest brat. I don't approve of children being smacked around but this one deserved it. She would not shutup or sit down until her mother forced her to sit. And then the God awful crying. This child would not stop crying and complaining when finally her mother just smacked her. Thank the lord. When we got to Pisa, we decided to climb the tower. Last time I was there I didn't climb it, and it would be something fun to do. Damn was that a trippy stair climb. Luckily it wasn't as brutal as the cupola, but it was definitely an odd climb. We finally made it to the top and it was so beautiful during the sunset. Pisa has redeemed itself...kind of. I still think it isn't that great, but definitely see it once. As we were ready go back down the stairs, this American lady and her husband were huffing and puffing, while Clay and I were giving her moral support. As we climbed down the stairs we overheard her being a mega bitch to her husband. She was like "No that is such a crappy picture, you delete this right now and do it right...DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND??!!" It was embarrassing. On the train ride back our car had been invaded by annoying sixteen year old boys. They were creeping on Clay's solitaire game on his ipod, one was blasting his music on his ipod speakers, and apparently one was checking me out. Thankfully they weren't there for long. I like to listen to my own music thanks. Then on our way back to Arezzo, this lady was screaming at the top of her lungs bitching the ticket guy out. Like literally screaming and calling him a dick, and that he should go fuck himself and everything. It was slightly funny. The ticket guy walked in our car smiling, and someone asked him in Italian what happened. The ticket guy was just like I just punch tickets, and continued on his way.

Wednesday: Assisi day! I loved Assisi. My whole life I've been spelling is Asissi. Oops. Just as I think views can't get any better, I stand corrected. Assisi is absolutely beautiful. We only went to St. Francis but it was so beautiful. After learning about the art, we visited St. Francis's grave. I didn't really know what to pray for so I decided to pray for my dog Jingles, who passed away last October. St. Francis is the patron saint of animals so I decided he would be the one to talk to. I just asked him to take care of her. After I left I saw five brittany spaniels (Jingles's breed) that day. It was pretty weird. After lunch, the group of us decided stupidly to walk down the hill instead of taking the bus back to the train station. Needless to say we missed our train and had to wait in a train station for two hours with a man barking at us. Unfortunately Sue Sha broke her arm in Assisi, so she had to leave sooner than expected.

Friday: Clay and I went to Florence to see David and do some shopping. David is amazing. Can't describe it. I pretty much love Michelangelo. On the way back this drunk old Italian man decided to bug me. He told me he's a good father, and that he's going to San Marino to see his son. When he found out we were from Texas, he was like "Bang bang...CHUCK NORRIS, GEORGE BUSH," and then proceeded to ask if I knew Bruce Springstein. I said yes, then he was like BORN IN THE USA, while I rolled my eyes. He then asked for my number, I said no, then he told me he wouldn't drive us but his dad would, and that it would be good dinner if I would come. I said no again, and he was like "It's okay I'm too strong for you and you're too young for me." Then the lady behind him told him to leave immediately because he was bothering us and he left. Fun times...

Saturday: Trip to Rome, saw everything, and then I had delicious Hard Rock Cafe. I am so sorry but I miss my American food. I had buffalo wings, onion rings, and refills of pepsi. It was heaven.

So that was my spring break!

Saturday: We decided to hit up Ro

1 comment: