Sunday, May 23, 2010

Getting ready to go home/ the trek home

Equals finishing papers, having fun with friends, and packing.

Paper got done.

Saying bye to friends was hard. I know I'll see them in Norman but it's not the same. I made some Italian friends too and I miss them already.

Packing was better than I thought, though I had to ship a ton of clothes. They are now on a nave(boat) and I won't see my stuff until mid to end June.

I left Arezzo with a bang. We did our ritual stops at Aurora and Mr. Blooms and we had a blast. That's all I wanted.

On a rainy Sunday afternoon, I said ciao to Arezzo. We arrived in Rome, dropped off our tons of luggage, and went to the Spanish steps where I said bye to Sam and Steven. They were so nice to help us with our luggage, and I'll be forever grateful, because my crap was heavy. Sarah and I decided to get dinner, where I ordered my favorite meal which is Caprese and Spaghetti con vongole (clams). We then had to get gelato and sit at the Trevi Fountain, my favorite location in Rome. The next morning we got up, got on the Leonardo da Vinci express and showed up at Fiumincino.

Jesus American customs are crazy in foreign countries. Don't get me wrong, I think that's great because the last thing we need is another terrorist attack, but damn. Some bus took us to a remote terminal, where we did customs, checked in, did security, did passport check, and then got on another bus that took us to the actual terminal where our plane was. My plane was delayed for two hours which means I would miss my flight from Chicago to Dallas. I tried explaining this to the check in dude, who was just like "I thought you told me your connecting flight was at 7 pm!" "No my flight from DFW to IAH leaves at 7, I'll miss my connecting flight to Dallas." He then wouldn't even make eye contact with me which really pissed me off. So I was like "Look I'd just like to be in Houston tonight, can you get me on a flight?" He ignored me! So then I was rude. "Fine. I guess I'll talk to the people in Chicago when flights are full and I'll be jet lagged and confused! Thanks you've been super!" So during the flight I spent 10 and a half hours twiddling my thumbs, because I was so antsy, and couldn't sleep, or read, or pay attention to the tv. (We didn't have our own on this flight) We landed in Chicago, and I got a text from my mom saying I had a flight right from Chicago to Houston. I was thanking Jesus, because I heard so many people were being stranded in Chicago from our flight.

As I stepped off, I went through another customs and passport check, and picked up my luggage. I tried explaining to the lady that I had a different flight plan, and if there was something I could do to change my luggage tags. She responded with "We're professionals, we know what we're doing." Clearly not, my luggage wasn't in Houston when I landed.

I went to the terminal to wait for the plane, and stopped at the nearest Hudson News to pick up a magazine, sprite, and starbursts. I then sat at the gate, realized it was a small plane, and decided to take dramamine. Mistakes! I immediately felt drowsy from the jet lag and the dramamine and started to drift off. People probably thought I was on drugs, I was trying so hard to stay awake. I then heard the guy announce boarding, so I got up, boarded the plane, found my seat, and passed out. The only time I woke up was when I heard the guy said "It is now safe to use portable electronic devices," which I take as put down the tray table and pass out again. I then woke up a bit during a lightening storm, then I realized we were landing. I power walked to baggage claim where I first saw my mom, then my dad, then Tori! I greeted her drowsily saying "Oh look it's Tori...I knew you'd be here." We stood at baggage where I was like "it's not going to be here, the professional idiots lost it." So we went to baggage lost and found, filed a report thing, and then went home. I don't remember what I said I just remember not shutting up. I went to my room and passed out. Luckily I barely had jet lag because of that day, but I did wake up at 8 bright eyed and ready to go that next morning. And recently I haven't been able to sleep in. Hopefully that won't change.

No comments:

Post a Comment